Saturday, August 20, 2011

Faith Increased By Works

Since the “righteous will live by faith” (Rom 1:17), the disciples of Jesus asked the Master to “Increase our faith,” (Luke 16:5). Jesus responds by telling the disciples that they only need the faith “like a mustard seed” to move mountains, (Luke 16:5). Then the translators of the Ryrie New American Standard decide to interject their opinion by adding a subject heading, “Concerning Service,” prior to verse seven of the sixteenth chapter.

In the next four verses, Jesus goes on to tell the story of how a servant should live relative to the master of the house. Jesus concludes by saying, “He (the Master) does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy slaves, we have done only that which we ought to have done,’” (Luke 16:9-10).

Rather than being two separate stories as Ryrie suggests, I propose that they are one in the same story with the latter being an answer to the former. In the words of Jesus, how does a person “increase their faith”? By doing, “all the things which are commanded.” In other words, faith is strengthened by obedience to the commandments and not the reverse. God rewards obedience by giving us increasing faith.

I find this principle true in giving. Sometimes the desire to give comes after the giving. I know that sounds upside down, but its true for me. Sometimes I feel good about a gift after it is given and I see the blessing it produces. This leads to a desire to give more, which reinforces the giving desire.

Jesus seems to suggest the same principle in faith. It is obedience that leads to increased faith, which in turn, leads to greater obedience. For this reason, faith and works become inseparable. “Show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works,” (James 2:18).

Happy birthday Holly. Dad

No comments: