Sunday, August 10, 2014

Footnote to Me...Stop Burning Rubber


 "Rabbi Tzaddok said: Do not separate yourself from the community. Do not act as a lawyer (in judgment). Do not make the Torah into a crown to magnify yourself with, or a spade with which to dig.” (Pirkei Avot 4:5)

There is much wisdom in Ethics of the Fathers.  We are not suppose to use the Torah to elevate our own stature in the eyes of man (magnify yourself) nor are we to profit by using the word to make money (a spade).  Another interpretation, do not use the Torah as a spade to beat another over the head, i.e, “Blazing Saddles”.

Although that is never my intent, I sometimes introduce concepts too quickly on people before preparing the ground to receive the message.  Sometimes I hit the accelerator before the wheels gain traction and just burn rubber without getting anywhere.

Such was the case this morning in our Bible Study class as we make our way through Hebrews chapter six.  The chapter begins by listing the first “elementary teaching” as “a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,” (Heb 6:1).  Rather than asking others why repentance was listed as the first elementary teaching and why repentance is important, I preceded to plunge into a deep theological dissertation about the need for repentance.  I had studied the subject extensively over the last week and had a lot to say on the subject.  Without going into the details, I felt like I shot a cannon, when I slingshot would have done the trick.  I think I blew away a few people, but not in a good way.

We have a good group, get along well, people like the diversity of discussion, and all are forgiving of my rabbit trail discussions.  That fact does not excuse me from using the Torah incorrectly today.  Although I prepared for what I was going to say, it just did not feel right when I started to deliver.  I should have been more receptive to the Spirit’s leading and He often reminds me to slow down.  In the future, I will try to ask more questions and slow down to a school zone pace. After all, we are trying to learn something here.

(Scott Ditto – After failing to be able to post from my AOL login, I asked Bryan to set me up on the blog under a gmail address to see if that works.  When prompted for a name, Scott was already taken and nothing else immediately came to mind.  Have a blessed week and thanks for all the well wishes on our anniversary.)

No comments: