Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Haverim! Haverim!

In our culture, I usually do not want to be on the receiving end of my name repeated twice in succession. Not so in scripture. I understand that the repetition of a name in scripture denotes an expression of strong compassion and love from the one speaking to the one receiving. I am sure you can think of numerous examples, but these came to mind as Jacob and I traveled down the road…

From GOD to…
"Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied. "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son." (Gen 22:11-12), and to

"Jacob! Jacob!" "Here I am," he replied. "I am God, the God of your father," he said. "Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. (Gen 46:2-3), and even the LORD to

"The LORD, the LORD GOD, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in loving-kindness and truth; (Ex 34:6)

In the Newer Testament from JESUS to…

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed." (Luke 10:41-42) and even to

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." (Matt 23:37)

Ok, you get the picture. When Paul heard the voice of JESUS on the road to Damascus speaking, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" (Acts 9:4), he immediately understood that these were the words of a compassionate and loving GOD toward Saul leading him to respond, "Who are you, LORD?"

In Matthew, the statement "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matt 7:21) now takes on new meaning. The people who say, "LORD, LORD" are expressing a love and compassion for the LORD, but their love lacks the actions to accomplish the will of the FATHER.

So the warning to us is, "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"
(Luke 6:46-47).

Shema from Dallas

No comments: